It has been a while since I posted anything here, this is what happens when you get quite busy and don't have much to write about...ok, I have stuff to write about but just have not had the time. Anyway, a few days back I got to watch Taika Waititi's film Boy, and I will not be exaggerating when I say this is one of the best films I have watched in a long time. I am not saying this just because I had the privilege of meeting Taika and hosting him on a Q and A session after the screening of the film during the launch of the FilmAid and Film Forward / Sundance Institute festival in Nairobi but if you have ever seen a film done so simply, with crazy illustrations and fantasy yet still serious enough to drive home some universal values, then this is it.
If you can get your hand on this film, I definitely recommend it!
While I was away, one Woolie did a blog post and decided to tag me on it. Now I have been tagged on these kind of posts before (I must say am quite indifferent to this types of posts) and generally ignored them with the exception of one. Anyway, I thought why don't I indulge Woolie because she runs a good blog and so here I am (rather sheepishly I must add - no pun intended Woolie). These are the so called rules
Thank and link back to the person who posted you the award.
Share seven things about yourself
Spread the Love and honour
Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.
I have actually done the first one already I think. I will do the second one and then pretend I did not notice the last two. Seven things about myself
1. I don't believe in organized religion (but strangely believe in both the creation story and the fact that the world has evolved over 4.5 billion years)
2. Contrary to perception that all Luos are in love with fish, it is one of my least favorite dishes
3. I am quite shy and fear being in front of crowds - despite the fact that I have been a stage actor, storyteller and recited poetry to packed auditoriums. I am quite lousy at making friends as a result.
4. My secret ambition is to be a writer - everything else is just but marking time (over 30 years and 2 kids later!)
5. I find snakes beautiful (but would still love to eat one cooked in a proper way! - ok, just kidding about the eating part)
6. I once starved that I ate bread gone stale with mould and untreated water
7. I really did not believe I could come up with 7 things about me
Now y'all can tag yourselves and enjoy!