Players

Monday, August 30, 2010

Don't Quit - Inspiration from an unknown poet

I first came across this poem, (whose author I have never known), some 20 or so years ago, and often when I have felt really down and on the verge of throwing in the towel, I have turned to it. It has been a difficult week both at work and at home, and now I turn to it again! Just figured I'd post it here in case someone who has never come across it stumbles upon it here! Also let me know if you know the name of the author!


Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow -
You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt -
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

- Unknown

7 comments:

  1. Hi there, yes I am familiar with this poem. It was also my inspiration for many, many years through the difficulties of being a uni. student and a poor one at that.I used to have it on my fridge so I could read it each day. I don't know any author. The copy I had also said "anonymous". I hope you continue to draw hope and inspiration for whatever you are going through. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyful, thanks for your comment, I am much better now. Now that you mention the uni days, I always tell myself that if I survived my uni days of being broke (poor) in a foreign land, I can survive whatever life throws at me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that the truth Otieno. I can remember being so poor as a student that I had no money to put in my purse. That was a particularly challenging period but I survived and it was a bit of an adventure. Do you mind letting me know where you studied? I'm glad you were able to get back home and put your skills to good use there. By the way,did you manage to find a swimming class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joyful, I went to college in India! In the semi dry north-western state of Rajasthan but a beautiful town called Udaipur. For the swimming, yes making arrangemnts, only that it has been extremely cold in Nairobi over the last three months but the sun is finally coming out so time to make way to the pool!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful place where you went to university. India is a place I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting. I'm so glad you are making arrangements for swimming. I don't know where you in location to the YMCA but I've read that they have swimming lessons there in case you have any problems finding an instructor. Unfortunately, I was away for one month assisting my elderly parent and the pool is closed for one month where I am learning. Soon it will be cold and rainy here and I do not look forward to travelling back and forth to the pool in that weather though will probably do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I caught this early in the morning! Inspirational indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, good to know it made a difference

    ReplyDelete